+44 0203 002 4125 (24 hours)
+44 0203 002 4125 (24 hours)MENU
Sir Michael Arthur is President of Boeing Europe, and Managing Director, UK and Ireland. He began his career as a British diplomat in 1972, with a posting to the UN in New York. His career subsequently took him to Africa, but his main specialty has been Europe and Britain’s relationship with the EU and the UK trade relationship with Germany in particular. He led the Maastricht Treaty negotiating team in London and the EU Single Market legislation team in the late 1980’s.
After a posting to Paris he became Principal Finance Officer for the British Foreign Service, and then went to Washington as Deputy Ambassador. After a further spell in London as Director General for Europe and Economic issues he went to India in 2003 as Ambassador (called High Commissioner) and then on to Germany as British Ambassador in 2007.
Since leaving government service in late 2010 Michael has built up a substantial portfolio covering business and political links to both Germany and India. He is a NED on the UK subsidiary of Tata Consultancy and a principle consultant. He is also active in the not-for-profit sector, as Trustee of various international organisations, in the charitable and academic sectors.
Sir Michael is UK Chairman Koenigswinter Foundation, a Founding partner of the International mediation and advisory firm ADRgAmbassadors LLP. He is on the advisory board of The Global Economic Symposium, The India Institute, Kings College, The King Edward VII foundation, Nehru Memorial Trust, The Institute of Cultural Diplomacy, Berlin and The Centre British Studies Humboldt.
Michael is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars where his ability to explain the complex relationship between Germany, the Eurozone and international markets is highly valued by business leaders, as well as universities and the media.
India, Germany, EU, energy, environment/climate change, financial services, IT and telecom, international negotiation; alternative dispute resolution, mediation, foreign policy, diplomacy, corporate diplomacy, government relations.
Topics areas include:
• The Eurozone, led and dominated by Germany.
• Germany at the epicentre in Europe of three crucial elements: the currency challenge, the macroeconomic debate about how to re-establish growth in the Eurozone; and the future institutional structure of Europe.
• Main-stream German political thinking, the core elements.
• As a nation that looks east in Europe as well as West, can one envisage a fundamental re-orienting of the German political mind-set to be more Central European, with growing hostility to everything that Brussels stands for? How strong are these protest voices?
• What conclusions should Asian investors draw from the political and economic challenges in Germany this year?
• How deep-seated is the commitment to the European Union among the younger generation?
For enquiries or bookings for Michael Arthur please call us on +44 (0)203 002 4125 or use our contact form